SGMoms.Net Singapore Parenting Forum for SG Moms (and Dads)

SGMoms.Net

- Singapore Parenting Forum for SG Moms (and Dads).

Phil maid follow us on holiday to Malaysia?

Foreign domestic helper

Phil maid follow us on holiday to Malaysia?

Postby serenelm » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 am

Hihi

Anyone knows if the above is allowed? We may be gg on holiday to Genting/KL Malaysia this June and oso may be getting a Phil maid b4 then. I'm wondering if the maid would be allowed to follow us on this trip and what's the procedure. Thanks :)
A happy SAHM to 3 boys (9 yrs old, 7 yrs old & 3 yrs old)...
serenelm

Re: Phil maid follow us on holiday to Malaysia?

Postby Fable » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Sure, as long as her passport is valid she can travel with you wherever. Remember to bring her work permit card along too.
Fable

Postby serenelm » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks Fable. So there's no need to apply for any special visa for her trip to Malaysia?
serenelm

Postby Fable » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:27 pm

As far as I know, Filipino citizens don't need visa for holiday in Malaysia, but I haven't actually tested it myself. :)
Fable

Postby Lillight » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Confirm no need visa. Just her passport and work permit card will do. My Filipino helper went to Malaysia early last month.
Lu.. ftwm . dh 00 . ds 01 . dd1 03 . dd2 06 . dd3 09 . bb edd May 13
Lillight

Postby booboo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Abit off topic here...but are you sure you want to bring your new helper along so soon after she's joined you? Might it not set up unrealistic expectations?

We sent our helper home on holiday about six months after she joined us because we were going on holiday ourselves, and again six months later. A few months after her second time home, she asked if we could let her go home for Christmas (as she expected us to be on holiday). Unfortunately, things had soured between us by then and I was already planning to fire her, so I told her no. Point is, she had assumed she would be going home every six months. We had never outright promised her such; we just thought it was a win-win solution for her to go home while we vacationed. On hindsight, we could have sent her to stay with the agent while we were away.

I think it's best to start slow with the new helper and give benefits gradually. My helper was quite bold and asked for many 'favours'; I seldom said no because I thought they were petty things (eg a particular shampoo) or I was afraid she'd do something drastic (with regard to money loans). I think I gave too much too soon. By the time I realised I should be firmer, she had already built up expectations and an entitlement mentality. Go slow.
booboo

Postby serenelm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping not to hv to bring the maid along (although it would be nice to hv an extra pairs of hands to help wif my 3 boys, since there's only me n hubby vs 3 kids) but just in case she arrives b4 we go on hols... Anyway, I'll tell her we very very very seldom go on hols, esp no more for the rest of this yr and next yr. so she'll hv no expectations... Haha :)
serenelm

Postby Chin-A » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 am

I had similar experience like booboo..gave too much too soon :( but things have not soured to the extent that i need to stop her employment...although it did cross my mind a few times. I went to Perth in Mar and so allowed her to go bk after a year with us...so happened to coincide with her daughter's graduation. Promised her too early and got her tickets ready coz promo. when i need to change dates to accomodate my sil who's joining us, i'm super caught coz have to meet the time she's away. Lucky things worked out fine. Then she told me next year Mar she'll need to go for another daughter's grad. I gave it some tots and did not refuse her but told her she's supposed to only take home leave for one contract (2 yrs). then she asked me what if I go on holiday other times of the year...is she supposed to stay back at home? I told her I'll let her know only if i made plans for other hol trips and she's supposed to cough out her own trip expenses for next mar, if not she'll not have home leave for the next contract. In this case, i'm still a little lose-lose situation coz what if I don't renew her, i still have to buy her tickets to go back just that no need to waste further money to do paper work. If it's a short trip less than a week, i would have chose to park her at agent. If longer trips up to 8-10 days, i'll let her go home. Not an option to go relatives or friends coz if something goes missing, she'll be the one fingers point at. unlikely leaving maid at home alone if she's been employed for such short period only.
Chin-A

Return to Domestic Help